Monday, March 05, 2007

Pat's Diary - Part 3 late September 1940


Glenayr Wednesday September 25th 1940
Dear Diary,
I am of a most undecided mind. I want to go to work and I want to stay home with mummy. I don't know what to do, I'm torn between. If I did go to work mummy would have to do the washing and work in the house and she's not at all well, she has a terrible pain all the time in her side. What will I do?
On Sunday my story was published in "Sunbeams". I won a purple certificate for it, and now I will get 10/- for all of them when I write in.
Today I found to my great delight, that my chook Mary, the Black Gin laid her very first egg. It's only a very small brown one, which was laid on a slope.
Bruce & Dorothy went for a ride early this morning on Bruce's two bikes, as far as Frenchs Forest.
Yesterday Darling Mummy was just in the act of cutting my hair, she had snipped one side, when I caught one horrifying glimpse of myself in the mirror. I refused to let Mummy cut another inch off me, so now one side is missing. I'll have to curl it up.

Sep 26th 1940
Dear Diary,
Today I applied for a job. I must get it. If God knew how much I wanted it he'd give it to me first shot, because I've been very good lately despite a few grumbles. As typiste, at one pound a week commence, & I'd work hard, oh if only I could get it. I've written out all the things I can buy with my money, for the next 10 weeks. Tonight I'm going to pray so hard.
Mummy is going to have Dyfimac(sic?) treatment for her pain. She's really very sick.
Mrs Gibson rang today, and I think that if she didn't take such an interest in my little chickens I would dislike her intensely. She refused to agree that Tite had a personality, she clasped her hand to her chest & laughted, "Oh Pat, you are funny", when I told her. I let my little chicks out now, they roam all day, & they're happy as the day is long.


September 29th
A very wet day, from my little attic window
Dear Diary,
At present the rain is teeming in bucketfuls down the pane. Today I am happy, for today I received the D.O.S. That is to be my title from now on. September has been the luckiest month I've ever had. I've had two poems published, one "The Lark" last Saturday, & "Elfin Piper" on the 6th. I've had three essays published & won a book, & now have enough certificates for ten shillings from Sunbeam. And a book from "Woman", and now I have the D.O.S.
It's simply teeming like one thing now, it hasn't stopped once since 12:30. Elaine & I raced up the back in raincoats & umbrella, to rescue the little chickens. They were shivering with cold & fright, for they've never seen rain like this before. Poor little things. We bundled them into their little box & covered it over, never stopped to count them. I hope I didn't leave one out, because I know it won't be alive when & if the rain ever stops. As soon as it does, I shall move the chickens coups into the fowl house & put some old clothes for the chicks to rest in, for I'm sure they must be wet though to the bone. You'd never ever believe how hard it is raining. Elaine, here for the weekend, will find it impossible to get home, methinks.
Elaine's Uncle is home on final leave.
I just can't believe I have won the D.O.S. It's a thing I've always dreamed of but never for once thought I'd ever have.

September 30th 1940
Monday. A very rainy night.
Dear Diary,
Today is the last day of September, and it certainly isn't what you'd call pleasant. It's blisteringly cold out o'doors, but I don't want to go out, I'm snugly tucked up in bed with a sand bottle at my feet, & by jove it is warm. It's raining heavily outside.
Today I waded out in the heavy rain to post my letter, or rather my certificates, to Peter. I asked him for either "Anne's House of Dreams" or "Magic for Marigold", delightful books by LM Montgomery. I doubt if I'll get any of them. I'll write my poem below,
Virgil Hope
"With marching feet & your head held high,
And a grim smile on your sunburnt face,
We know you'll go to do or die,
But not come back to a conquered race.
We watched you as you sailed away,
To fight for Life & Liberty,
We can but hope & wait & pray
Until you bring us Victory."

I'm all excited about my D.O.S certificate. It will probably come next week as the names are hand painted on each one. I'm a very tired Patricia Anne tonight, as I've had a very busy day. I wish I could like boys, but I can't. The only boys I do like are Poppy, Laurie Hinder, & someone I'm not mentioning. So unless my affections change, I'll remain
Widow Pyne (Patricia)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home