Friday, March 23, 2007

Pat's Diary - Part 5 Nov - Dec 1940

Friday November 1st 1940
Dear Diary
Today is the first of November, it's just a little less than two months to Xmas.
No news, so as to speak, only that on Monday I'm going into DJs to find a position. So now I'll be a working girl.
Composed a poem, "Down By the Billabong", today and am sending it to S tomorrow. My finger is bad again, that's the fourth time this year. (previously jammed finger in car door? Destroyed nail-bed)
No more news tonight. Yours, Pat Pyne

November 11th 1940
Armistice Day
Dear Diary
Tonight I came home with my first pay, tightly clutched in a little envelope. I brought Mummy a box of chocs to celebrate the occasion. When Mr Burns handed out the envelope to me, he thought he was just giving one of the shop girls their pay, but as I'm not typed as "they", & I am an individual, he was very much mistaken.
I have only 11/- bob left out of my pay. 3/11 next week's ticket, & a pair of stockings tomorrow about 2/11.
Yours, Patricia

November 24th Sunday Morn
Dear Diary
On Tuesday I shall be working three weeks.

December 1st 1940 Sunday
Dear Diary
Just two years today since dear Grandma Furner passed away. I don't know if the others remembered the date, (I think Mummy did) but the very first thing that came into my head this morning was that.
Outside the rain is just Sweeping down in bucketfuls. It's Teeming.
Today the Avenells arrived from Kempsey, and dear little Tric is with us tonight. At present she is sound asleep with her mouth open wide & two big teeth peeping through. She's such a sweet little kid. I'd love a little girl like her, just seven, but oh so wise. Her eyes are brownest brown & her lashes terribly long.
On Tuesday next I shall have been working a month. It doesn't seem that long, and yet it seems as though I've always been there.
Only about three weeks next Wed to Xmas. I'm going shopping next week & going to spend about 10/- on presents. I've never before had that much to myself. I was contemplating buying dad a shaving set, I don't know what to buy Mummy.
My poem "Australia Fair" was published in "Woman" 18th Nov. They have discontinued the children's page now, so I'm going to write to the Herald.
I saw Eunice yesterday. Oh she has changed!
Dad killed one of my chickens last Sunday. That's the first one to go. I'm going to keep the smallest white rooster. I do hope they'll be alright tonight, as the rain is simply terrific. The first Mate's wife has just had her third lot of children, four this time.
Well, I hadn't written for almost a month, it won't be long until the next time I write.
Patricia Ann Pyne, age 15 years & 10 months

December 7th 1940
Saturday Night 9:30
Dear Diary
The days seem to slip by like the leaves off a tree in Autumn lately. On Wednesday I went shopping & did some of my Xmas shopping. I still have two to get. Next Tuesday I shall have been working 5 weeks.
Yesterday I heard the March of soldiers & airmen. Uncle John was in it. I'm going to make him some socks after Xmas.
I'm going to have my photo taken on Wednesday. Until then, Patricia Ann

New Year's Eve Tuesday Night December 31st 1940
Dear Diary
Tonight is New Year's Eve. Tomorrow will usher in a new day, as well as a brand new year. This year, which will fade out tonight, has been a good year. The Government have made ready plans for Wartime duties, and has done a good deal of work for the war.
I have succeeded well with my literary efforts during the year and had 10 poems published as well as several stories.
Christmas has come & gone, for another whole year. We had a jolly Xmas. Dad & Mummy gave me a lovely white handbag.
Yesterday I received a card & letter from a Lonely Soldier in Palestine. He wants me to write to him, so I'm going to.
Harold Moore sent me such a lovely box of handkerchiefs for Xmas.
All the girls at work are going out to celebrate the new year, but none for me, I'm sailing to bed.

I thought this letter was rather touching. A girl at work said to me, "I should imagine that this place would take all the poetry out of you," and it has really. I never have time to write or I'm either too tired. I've been working nearly 9 weeks. 9 weeks today. Today I bought a lovely pair of white shoes with a wall toe & rather high heels.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home